overheating

Post general questions and information about the 7G Galant here. Ask for troubleshooting help here.
reddog1162181
Lurker
Lurker
Year/Make/Model: 95 mitsubishi galant es
Engine: 4 cyl

overheating

Postby reddog1162181 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 am

I got a good deal on a 95 galant es and i have since changed the water pump and thermostat and flushed and flushed and flushed, but its still overheating. it used to only overheat on the highway, but now its unpredictable. it has good days and bad days. yesterday the temp gauge was bouncing from red to 3/4 and back again. im about to pull my hair out on this one. someone told me it might be leaking exhaust into the antifreeze, a type of blown head gasket. i dont want to keep throwing money at it just to have it overheat again. what should i try next? ps fans are working

messiah
GF Made
GF Made

Re: overheating

Postby messiah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

With a blown head gasket, your coolant will look like mayo.

My guess is, you still have air in the cooling system. You need to "burp" the system. You may also have a clogged radiator, so you may only get some cooling done.
reddog1162181
Lurker
Lurker

Postby reddog1162181 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 pm

it cools when at idle but as soon as i take off, it heats up. is the transmission linked to the cooling somehow? I know that on the auto trans galants the trans cooler is part of the radiator. also, whats the best way to get air out of the system? ok, i will say it. how do u burp it?
messiah
GF Made
GF Made

Postby messiah » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Take the radiator cap off when it's safe to do so. Turn the heat on high, but leave the fan off. Start the car, rev the engine to ~2500rpm until the radiator fans come on, let the car idle. If the system had air in it, bubbles should be coming out from the radiator. Top off as necessary until you are satisfied that there are no more bubbles coming out.

On a side note, if bubbles are continuously coming out of the radiator, you may indeed have a weak head gasket that's letting air into the system.
reddog1162181
Lurker
Lurker

Re: balance shaft belt

Postby reddog1162181 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:09 am

i had my mechanic replace a water pump on my 95 G. He finished and handed me a small broken belt. said it was part of the timing. now i gotta tear back in to replace it. my question is this... how necessary is this belt and does it need to be timed when installed? could this be why my idle is gettin rough? thanks for all you do...
messiah
GF Made
GF Made

Postby messiah » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm very surprised that your mechanic replaced the water pump, found the broken belt and decided to put everything back together and handed you the broken belt...

A lot of the 2g/7g guys remove that belt and delete the counter balance shaft (I think that's what it's called), but something super simple needs to be done, I can't remember what tho.
krazienluv10
GF Driven
GF Driven

Postby krazienluv10 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:31 pm

thinking u might need a new radiator, if there hasnt been any maintenance on it when you bought it
Bring it back ol skool

Return to “7G Galant - General Information”