Rims!!!

Want your ride to handle on rails? Got questions on what brakes will work best for your set up? Need help choosing a good set of wheels?
SvTPolak03
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Rims!!!

Postby SvTPolak03 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Quick question...What is the biggest size rims that would fit on a 2005 LS Galant??? I actually like the 16 inches that come on it, but I was thinking of upgrading to less spokes, more size... :D


User avatar
reelax
GF Proven
GF Proven
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:00 pm

Re: Rims!!!

Postby reelax » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:11 pm

given that the stock tire combo is 16x6.5 w/ 215/60r16 (18x8 w/ 235/45r18) that means the stock total diameter is about 26.25"... ur BIGGEST combo that will still stay wtithin stock diameter (+-2%) is 20" w/ 245/35r20 (or even 285/30r20 if that's not too wide). you could even fit 22" wheels if you use 225/30r22 tires (i think this is the smallest avaliable) but u will be 3.8% bigger than stock diameter, if they made it, a 245/25r22 would be right at +1.87%.
Image
Image
User avatar
jubeiaire
GF Driven
GF Driven
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: NY

Re: Rims!!!

Postby jubeiaire » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:56 pm

you know too much reelax :)
Some get carried out, others walk out on their own, i pray every day i was the last to get carried out.
User avatar
Prophet
CEO
CEO
Posts: 5746
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:00 pm
Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
Location: 707 Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Rims!!!

Postby Prophet » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:10 pm

jubeiaire wrote:you know too much reelax :)


Reelax answered my very first Galant question lol... "Do 18's fit on the Galant?" and he continues to answer suspension questions till this day... He da man!
- Jason
User avatar
MCHenry
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:05 am
Year/Make/Model: 2007/380/Platinum
Engine: 6g75 SOHC
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Rims!!!

Postby MCHenry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:49 am

With our 380 it came standard with 215/55/17, we upgraded to 245/30/22. If we could get our hands on 235/25/22 it would make them legal, but no one makes this size in Australia.
Orphaned 380 Division
Matt & Carol Henry
Build Number - 22896
2007 Mitsubishi 380 DB Series II Platinum Edition - New rims have been installed....now to BAG IT!!
Image
User avatar
reelax
GF Proven
GF Proven
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:00 pm

Re: Rims!!!

Postby reelax » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 am

MCHenry wrote:With our 380 it came standard with 215/55/17, we upgraded to 245/30/22. If we could get our hands on 235/25/22 it would make them legal, but no one makes this size in Australia.


the diameter of 215/55r17 is 26.3" (pretty much identical to USDM 9G stock sizes), while the diameter of 245/30r22 is 27.8"; size difference is +5.6%. to avoid odometer/speedometer/transmission issues, i only recomend sizes within +-2% of stock when upsizing in order to avoid recalibration and proper suspension geometry. 235/25r22 would have a diameter of 26.6" or 1.2% bigger than stock (perfectly acceptable)... 245/25r22 would be even better at 26.8" (+1.9%) but alas i don't think anyone makes those sizes.
Image
Image
User avatar
MCHenry
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:05 am
Year/Make/Model: 2007/380/Platinum
Engine: 6g75 SOHC
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Rims!!!

Postby MCHenry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:07 am

reelax wrote:the diameter of 215/55r17 is 26.3" (pretty much identical to USDM 9G stock sizes), while the diameter of 245/30r22 is 27.8"; size difference is +5.6%. to avoid odometer/speedometer/transmission issues, i only recomend sizes within +-2% of stock when upsizing in order to avoid recalibration and proper suspension geometry. 235/25r22 would have a diameter of 26.6" or 1.2% bigger than stock (perfectly acceptable)... 245/25r22 would be even better at 26.8" (+1.9%) but alas i don't think anyone makes those sizes.


In Oz Queensland we are aloud to only go 15mm larger over all diameter than original. As you stated reelax, the option we have is a tad larger than that. We have been running on this size since we had the car and we have had no trouble with them....being a manual we shouldnt really have any prob tranny wise. The only thing we noticed is that we can suffer brake fade rather quickly due to the extra weight in the rims, but im on my way to fixing that problem. I have found that the suspension has become a tad sloppy, but that is probably due to the fact that we are running on King Springs super-lows (-2") and original shocks (overly compressed).
Orphaned 380 Division
Matt & Carol Henry
Build Number - 22896
2007 Mitsubishi 380 DB Series II Platinum Edition - New rims have been installed....now to BAG IT!!
Image
User avatar
reelax
GF Proven
GF Proven
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:00 pm

Re: Rims!!!

Postby reelax » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:42 pm

MCHenry wrote:
reelax wrote:the diameter of 215/55r17 is 26.3" (pretty much identical to USDM 9G stock sizes), while the diameter of 245/30r22 is 27.8"; size difference is +5.6%. to avoid odometer/speedometer/transmission issues, i only recomend sizes within +-2% of stock when upsizing in order to avoid recalibration and proper suspension geometry. 235/25r22 would have a diameter of 26.6" or 1.2% bigger than stock (perfectly acceptable)... 245/25r22 would be even better at 26.8" (+1.9%) but alas i don't think anyone makes those sizes.


In Oz Queensland we are aloud to only go 15mm larger over all diameter than original. As you stated reelax, the option we have is a tad larger than that. We have been running on this size since we had the car and we have had no trouble with them....being a manual we shouldnt really have any prob tranny wise. The only thing we noticed is that we can suffer brake fade rather quickly due to the extra weight in the rims, but im on my way to fixing that problem. I have found that the suspension has become a tad sloppy, but that is probably due to the fact that we are running on King Springs super-lows (-2") and original shocks (overly compressed).


yeah, the tires u have are not a bad option, but making those choices are not for the beginner either. it's just that i don't reccomend that kind of risk to newbs since they don't know the consequences, and it spawns many more related issues into the equation (clearance, camber, calibration, etc.). your knowledge from what i've seen is significantly above average, so you taking those risks is acceptable since you know what is going to happen and know how to counteract/correct for the larger fitament... i know you would have near perfect diameter on your car if the tire was made, but sometimes we make due w/ what we can get and make it work in the cases where what we want and need is not made, that is commendable.
Image
Image
User avatar
MCHenry
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:05 am
Year/Make/Model: 2007/380/Platinum
Engine: 6g75 SOHC
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Rims!!!

Postby MCHenry » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:34 am

reelax wrote:yeah, the tires u have are not a bad option, but making those choices are not for the beginner either. it's just that i don't recommend that kind of risk to newbs since they don't know the consequences, and it spawns many more related issues into the equation (clearance, camber, calibration, etc.). your knowledge from what i've seen is significantly above average, so you taking those risks is acceptable since you know what is going to happen and know how to counteract/correct for the larger fitment... i know you would have near perfect diameter on your car if the tire was made, but sometimes we make due w/ what we can get and make it work in the cases where what we want and need is not made, that is commendable.


No I wouldnt recommend it either. Clearance was a real problem with a +36 offset against the rear guard, but that was rectified with some guard cutting and negative camber, which I would like to state that it is -3 something and the front is -1 something. Thanks for the compliment mate.
Orphaned 380 Division
Matt & Carol Henry
Build Number - 22896
2007 Mitsubishi 380 DB Series II Platinum Edition - New rims have been installed....now to BAG IT!!
Image
The_Fox_7
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:34 am
Year/Make/Model: 2005 Galant LS
Engine: 3.8 V6

Re: Rims!!!

Postby The_Fox_7 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:39 am

On my galant I got a set of staggers niche Essons they're 10 spoke machined silver wheels. I got 19"x8.5" on the front sitting on 235/45/19 and on the back I have 20"x10.5" on the back sitting on semi stretched 255/35/20. I had to have the fenders rolled in the back but it looks mean af. I don't scrub unless I got a car full which is the only problem. Sitting on Mickey Thompson's all around and I still don't get traction lol.

Return to “9G Galant - Suspension”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests