• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:57 pm

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - Customization

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Touch Screen Controls!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:30 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

I just spent the last six hours at Hypercom Inc. learning how to make touch screen controls.... it's an incredibly long process but actually fairly easy... using a photo enlarger (which i already have) and a photo-etch board on which you wire all of your controls.

i'm really excited... i'm planning on converting all of my controls... such as ac, radio, and newly constructed switch panel... into touch screens. it's going to take a few months to finish... the hardest part is the design... but i will most definitely post pics up as soon as i can

who knows... maybe i'll even put together a tutorial... would you guys like that?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:25 pm 
CEO
CEO

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
That would be intresting to see but the a/c is not controlled by electronics but by wires....

Prophet's Help Desk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:31 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Prophet wrote:
...the a/c is not controlled by electronics but by wires....

could you not solder the wires to the circuit board... which in this case is a photo-etch board (same principles)?

then... leading from the ac wire's connection to the board, could you not lead another wire to the touch sensor?

this isn't meant to be rebutal... they're serious questions (incase it sounded rebutal)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:29 pm 
CEO
CEO

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
mycar_mycanvas wrote:
Prophet wrote:
...the a/c is not controlled by electronics but by wires....

could you not solder the wires to the circuit board... which in this case is a photo-etch board (same principles)?

then... leading from the ac wire's connection to the board, could you not lead another wire to the touch sensor?

this isn't meant to be rebutal... they're serious questions (incase it sounded rebutal)

In all honesty you seem to have a better grasp at this then I do. I just have general knowledge and a sound reasoning to what I have seen others do. If I haven't done it myself I would only be guessing and I don't like to direct people on guesses. If my buddy Nick (messiah) would chime in I am sure he would have the answers....

Prophet's Help Desk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:18 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

alright man.... i can't wait to get started on it. have faith my friends.... it will kick ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:57 pm 
GF Admin
GF Admin

I like the idea, alot of work though.

The fan control and compressor control, I don't see a problem with converting to touch screen.

the climate and air position controls, however will be a challenge. both those control are completely mechanical, nothing electronic about those. What you can do is, adapt somekind of servo motor to open and shut the flaps, and control the motors via touch screens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:07 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

it will definitely be a lot of work... nothing back-breaking though. the majority of time i'll be at the drawing board, in the dark room, and at the soldering bench... but i'm an artist so it's what i enjoy

on my drive downtown last night i was just kind of pushing buttons and messing with the controls.... brainstorming you know. i came to the same conclusion about the climate and position controls... i'm going to have to figure that part out. i was thinking though... i might use an ipod-esque touch sensor for the climate controls. i think that would give it a nice look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:52 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

What would it take to use the JDM electronic A/C control unit? Would that make it easier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:16 pm 
GF Made
GF Made

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6
Engine: 6G72 Turbo
I've been thinking about this, and I do remember somewhere on the 3KGT boards that had a conversion kit for the manual A/C controls to the digital ones. Been searching to 3Si.org board to see if I can find that thread.

What I think you would need to do is get the little motors you use for R/C models and wire those up to the a digital or touch screen control then attach them to the cables controlling the heater and air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:59 am 
Lurker
Lurker

well if u couldmake a master control screen with a small computer, it shouldnt be a problem

i already have a touchscreen on my car but only for the aduio, got an ipod hooked up on it so i can browse in it just by a touch of the screen. If i remember correctly , theres an auxiliary spare in the back, might be good for a homemade elctrician

anyway i wish u luck , and the weirder and harder it seems the better the mod :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:31 am 
GF Driven
GF Driven

sic and creative idea.

7G 5spd swap for sale!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:09 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

wow im deff gona follow this thread.....wish you luck bro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:55 am 
Lurker
Lurker

would love to see what you come up with.

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:13 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

funds have been low lately but i've finished the designs and began building the various chips. the radio was easy... just replicated what was already provided with photo-etch equiptment. wired it up for a "test-run" and all worked well.. just some minor miss alignment which i'm fixing now. i'll keep you updated for the future and hopefully have something to show for it in the coming months

Post subject: Re: UPDATE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:38 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

mycar_mycanvas wrote:
funds have been low lately but i've finished the designs and began building the various chips. the radio was easy... just replicated what was already provided with photo-etch equiptment. wired it up for a "test-run" and all worked well.. just some minor miss alignment which i'm fixing now. i'll keep you updated for the future and hopefully have something to show for it in the coming months

I can see you making money off of this... Really great idea though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:42 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

you pull this off, you funds wont be low haha...i can be your 1st customer hahah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:35 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Wow that is a cool idea. I'm a bit of an rc nut connecting the servos to a control shouldn't be that hard. I think the hard part will be the mount and adjustment. Also take in consideration sometimes if a surge or something else happens with the electronics they could freak out (twitching etc). You sound like you could pull it off, just a little info. You might check ebay for some used servos to practice with. Good luck!

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - Customization