• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Whats up people, I am the brand new owner of a '99 Galant. After having the car for only 4 days, I was driving home from school and all of a sudden I have an aweful scraping sound coming from under my car. I look down and the metal plating that covers the catalytic converter was hangning off and dragging on the ground. I called the place that I got the car from and they came and bent it up so it wasn't scraping anymore. I went with him to his shop and he just took the cover off and said that it is not a necessary thing to have on there. My question to you guys is: is this guy BSing me or is he telling the truth when he says I don't need it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:46 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Yes the shield is needed because it insulates the cat, they have to be up to temperature to operate correctly and be 100% efficient.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

whitegalant wrote:
Yes the shield is needed because it insulates the cat, they have to be up to temperature to operate correctly and be 100% efficient.

Its not actually the shield that fell off, its just the tin cover. I can't see that tin cover doing much of anything as far as temperatures are concerned.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:27 pm 
GF n00b
GF n00b

Year/Make/Model: 1994 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4g64 DOHC
The tin cover is still needed to insulate the cat to keep temps at optimal efficiency. It also keeps debris from coming up on the cat and dropping temps thus dropping efficiency. The cat gets extremelly hot to burn any wasted fuel and exaust gasses and hot metal also is more prone to rusting and caroding. You dont want to be replacing a $100-$200 cat every year because of debris and rusting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:41 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Ok sounds like I am going to take it to my mechanic and have him put it on since the guy i bought it from is insistant that I don't need it. Also, I just thought about it, it might cause some problems if I dont have that cover and I park over a bunch of dry leaves. Thanks for the input guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:50 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Think about if your going down the road and hit a big puddle. It will cool it down really fast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:53 pm 
GF n00b
GF n00b

Year/Make/Model: 1994 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4g64 DOHC
No problem. Welcome to galant forums.

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information