• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: charging Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES
Engine: 2.4L sohc I-4 (4G64)
Wats up GF. I'm back again with another problem with my 8g. The other morning I went to my car and started it to allow it to warm up. I went back into the house for about five minutes and when I came back out to leave, the headlights and fogs were dim. I put the car in drive and all the lights were bright again. Few days later I did my morning thing again and this time when I came back to the car it had cut off. The battery was dead so I got a jump and drove the car again. So I figured it was the alt. I had it tested at autozone and the guy told me my alt was shot so I bought a new one. Changed it out today and I'm still having the same problem. Does anyone know wats going on? I need help lol thanx in advance

Post subject: Re: charging Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 pm 
CEO
CEO

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
Next guess would be maybe the battery became shot while it was under load... have that tested now...

Prophet's Help Desk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:55 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Year/Make/Model: 2002/mitsubishi/galant
Engine: 4g64/4g63
dead cell in the battery or you didn't get the alt tightened all the way

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:17 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Battery is good to go I had that tested and was told to check it in about three months. I'm going to check the alt and tighten it up some more and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Ok so I put my old alt back on until I get my new mitsu alt and the car was doing fine until last night. I started my 8g and it was slow because it was freezing last night but it did start. Well all my dash lights were dim and my tachometer was jumping all over the place. My radio and he had cut off. I turned the rpms up on the motor and it didn't do anything. Then I decided to drive off so let my e-brake down and my radio came back and my heat cut back on and all the dash lights were bright and the tachometer was working again. O and when it gets cold out my horn seems to get stuck. A couple nights I would have to wake up or should I say I would be woke up by my horn going off around 3 or 4 in the morning like somebody was in my car holding the horn buttton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:01 am 
CEO
CEO

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
I know this probably won't help but that is just weird... you are not pulling any codes? I would check the fuse box in both the engine compartment and the cabin and see if there is anything blown...

Prophet's Help Desk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Year/Make/Model: 2002/mitsubishi/galant
Engine: 4g64/4g63
I thought you said you bought a new alt and installed it already. I had the similar problem but it was my radio that would turn on randomly not so much in the middle of the night but while I was working on things and the car was off the was a simple ground and power short. The charging system is not 100% even though auto zone said your battery was fine means it was then. I bet you drove the car in and had him run the little hand held comp they have it works sometimes. try taking your battery in and have them check it and take the old alt out it is only draining your battery and can cause a dead cell in it. if when you reved the motor your lights did not get brighter the alt is shot and not recharging the battery enough to power everything. do you have an amp and subs if so cut the power to them until you have the problem resolved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Thanx joekocher83 I do have subs and amp. I will unplug them and probably take all the wiring out and redo it all once I resolve the problem. I unplugged the wire that is hooked to the e-brake that turns on the brake light in the dash. Now since I've done that when I pull up the e-brake my lights don't go dim now but still the alt isn't charging like its suppose to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Ok so I jus put in a new battery and now my lights are bright again and no dimming but at the same time I put the old battery in my uncles car and it cranked and ran fine with bright lights and no dimming as if the batt was new. So now I'm waiting to see if this batt goes down. Oh and today I got a P1500 code when I had them read. P1500 FR Terminal Circuit Malfunction

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information