• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:45 am

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:37 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Mitsubishi Galant S
Engine: 2.4 SOHC
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - 2.4 SOHC - 115K Miles
Had a timing belt failure. Hit all 8 intake valves. Piston heads look OK other than the dents left from the valves and only 1 valve is bent. 8O How did I get that lucky? Compression check resulted in 120psi on the other three cylinders before the head was pulled (pulled the head because of cylinder with no compression). Compression was not instant took several rotations to build to that if that matters...

ImageImageImage

Also discovered large amount of burnt crud on top of pistons as well as a fairly thick coating of oil thru the intake manifold and the lower sides of the intake ports on the head. I regularly replace my PCV valve, but I have been losing 1qt/1000 miles for a few years now with no spots when I park and no noticeable smoke in the exhaust. My dad suggested replacing valve stem seals, but I read that Mitsubishi heads usually require new valve guides.

Couple of questions. Leaking valves wouldn't cause oil to get up in the intake right? So other than the PCV valve is there another route that oil could take to get in there? Is it worth having a shop do the valve guides and how much should I expect to pay for that? OR should I just replace the bent valve, slap some new valve stem seals in it and call it good?

I am also planning on smoothing out the dings in the pistons before anyone asks about that...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:35 am 
CEO
CEO

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14242

Prophet's Help Desk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information