• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:56 am

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:43 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Alright I'm having a problem with my '03 ES. I had the transmission flushed about 6 weeks ago (I'm at about 63700 miles) and since then the car has been shifting roughly, and when I'm just maintaining speed (barely touching throttle) sometimes it acts like it can't decide which gear to be in, I can feel it shifting up and down. I checked the fluid and thought it might have been a bit high, but I went back to NTB where I had the flush done and they double checked it and said it was perfect at the fill level. But, when they checked it, the car turns off on it's own after about a minute of being in neutral or park. In drive or reverse it won't happen. They said they can't check for sure but think it might be relating to the IACV or the MAF sensor.

I read around on these forums for a bit and noticed a common suggestion of cleaning the throttle body, so I opened it up to look at it and it doesn't look visibly dirty, no buildup of anything. I don't know how to open the valve to see to the other side of it though, so that side may be?

The NTB guys said to take it to a dealer but if I can fix it myself I'd much rather do that, and hopefully learn something in the process.

Thanks for any help! :)

Post subject: Re: Transmission
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:03 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Mitsu transmissions are very temperamental when it comes to ATF's. Do you happen to know which fluid NTB used when they flushed and filled yours? Check which one it is and make sure it meets OEM specs or else that could very well be your problem right there.

1996 Galant S Turbo
50 Trim @ 10psi
222WHP 250 WTQ
...awaiting a heart transplant...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:45 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

I called them and they aren't using the manual recommended "DIAMOND ATF SP III", he said something about STF I think... Going in tomorrow to see if I can get them to use the right fluid this time and see what the results are.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:31 pm 
GF Made
GF Made

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6
Engine: 6G72 Turbo
adion wrote:
I read around on these forums for a bit and noticed a common suggestion of cleaning the throttle body, so I opened it up to look at it and it doesn't look visibly dirty, no buildup of anything. I don't know how to open the valve to see to the other side of it though, so that side may be?

To open up the butterfly valve in the throttle body, look for the throttle cable that runs next to it. If you pull the cable, it will open the butterfly valve.

Also, Do you have an I4 or V6? If you have an I4, check for cracks around the area behind the throttle body - the I4s are notorious for having cracks in that area.

As far as the transmission, its is really recommended to only use OEM mitsu fluid for the auto trannies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:17 am 
Lurker
Lurker

It's an I4. So basically the best thing to do is not to take it to NTB tomorrow and to just go to the dealer? Man that was a waste then :(

Anything else it could be? Might they be right with the IACV or MAFS guess?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:22 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Hello, I just bought a second hand Mitsubishi Galant Super Saloon 2000 model and it has an Automatic Transimission. There is a 'HOLD' button near the tansmission and I do not know what it does. I do not have it pressed but I am wondering if it would help the car perform better if it was pressed? Thanks.

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information