• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:55 am

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:27 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Hey GF, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a question or two about my transmission. I've owned a Galant ES 2000 V6 3.0 Liter for 9 years now and the odometer has hit 203k miles. Those miles are roughly 60% city and 40% highway. Please keep in mind the Galant has been driven rough (not unusual to have the tachometer to hit 6,000 rpm every 5-15 miles). The transmission has been acting up lately, shifting a bit too fast and sometimes too slow when cycling through the gears. Its not terribly bad most of the time but sometimes it jerks. (Reverse has the most tendency to do it but its not only reverse). The thing is I have never had the transmission oil changed and/or flushed. I'm wondering at this stage a few things:

A: How much transmission oil do I have to purchase?
B: Would AMSOIL be a good replacement? (considering I don't have the money to buy from the dealer)
C: If yes to B, then which of one these fluids would suit the Galant best? http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-transmission-fluid
D: How do you change the transmission fluid?
E: Is flushing necessary, can it be done at home?

P.S. The problem isn't drastic, but I have this gut feeling (almost instinct) that if nothing will be done something will go very wrong, very soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:32 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Year/Make/Model: 2000 GTZ
Engine: 3.0
There was a guy asking about flushing the tranny and getting new fluids a while back.. I believe the outcome of that little ordeal there was that if you haven't changed it the first 75k miles, then don't worry about it.. But don't quite me on it.

Look it up.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:44 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

I looked up that post, but, I don't want to give up on it yet. This car is my baby :) How would you change or flush the oil? (The owners manual doesn't have it on there). I don't want to just give up on it. I mean, it made it to 200k on personal maintenance.

Btw, I think the guy you're talking about is Mickeytls, right?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:21 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

Changing the fuid at 203K miles is not a good idea especially since you have never done it before. The transmission has been running thinned out fluid and adding fresh thicker fluid is only going to complicate the transmissions life and over exagerate the eratic shifting. 6grand every 5-15 miles isn't taking care of the transmission, especially if it is stock. I would reccomend looking for a new transmission while your car is still operational. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i think the outcome of the last time was not to change the fluid. But the choice is ultimately your's, and you can't properly flush a transmission and get ALL of the old fluid out without the right machine.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:58 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Would it be possible just to drain the existing fluid and simply pour in the fresh fluid? Not removing ALL the old fluid would do what most likely? (Btw, does my transmission need 1 quart? 1 gallon? etc)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:08 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Just like the other guy, this one doesn't listen.
You should not do it, at all. If you have not drained it the first 75k miles, or at all for that matter, then your tranny has been running on thin fluid. Once you put the new fluids in, since they are thicker, you tranny will not be used to it..

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:15 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

It is not that I do not listen, I just still can't believe that doing nothing and saving up for a new transmission is the ONLY solution. Okay, the transmission will not be used to it, that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll implode itself out of the universe instantaneously. I'll change the fluid myself. I was just hoping you guys would at least give me simple instructions on how to do just that (and if that can't be done, just please, enlighten me on the amount of fluid that the transmission would need).

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:16 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

Univision wrote:
It is not that I do not listen, I just still can't believe that doing nothing and saving up for a new transmission is the ONLY solution. Okay, the transmission will not be used to it, that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll implode itself out of the universe instantaneously. I'll change the fluid myself. I was just hoping you guys would at least give me simple instructions on how to do just that (and if that can't be done, just please, enlighten me on the amount of fluid that the transmission would need).

what everybody is trying to say is that your tranny is used to running on thin oil therefore you should leave it the way it is, the life of your tranny now may be shortened by changing the oil

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

look, bro there saying that since your tranny has been running on older THINNER fuild.. that when you replace it with newer fluid which is THICKER.. your tranny will have to work harder.. thus shortaning its life even more.. and all that you should put in your tranny is dealer fuild..

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:46 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

anyo91 wrote:
look, bro there saying that since your tranny has been running on older THINNER fuild.. that when you replace it with newer fluid which is THICKER.. your tranny will have to work harder.. thus shortaning its life even more.. and all that you should put in your tranny is dealer fuild..

hmmm i get the feeling that ive read this somewhere

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:08 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

blasterrider1036 wrote:
Univision wrote:

what everybody is trying to say is that your tranny is used to running on thin oil therefore you should leave it the way it is, the life of your tranny now may be shortened by changing the oil

Thank you! This is what I've been saying to him lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:34 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

haha, this whole tread is the same post redone like 11 times

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:37 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

anyo91 wrote:
haha, this whole tread is the same post redone like 11 times

Yep.. And sadly.. He reminds me of myself when I first started posting on the forum.. Lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:54 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Univision wrote:
The thing is I have never had the transmission oil changed and/or flushed.

^Tranny Suicide.

1. by NEVER having ever replace your tranny fuild(you're lucky ur tranny is even still working decently at 200k+) you';ve greatly minimized the life on your tranny. now it INEVITABLY will keep degrading over time. maybe at a rapid pace now, maybe not. But its definitely on its way out NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, NOW.

2. DO NOT FUSH THE TRANNY. your old tranny fluid is probably holding your tranny together at this point. lol

3. I strongly recommend saving up for a new/rebuilt tranny.

4. Regardless of what some might say, dont even bother trying to add Lucas or any other 'life extender' to your tranny now. It might/probably will just make it worse, or act more erratic.

5. In summary: Sir, your tranny has been VERY good to you for as long as you've had it/abused it. just replace it when it finally dies out on you. R&R.

end thread.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:16 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Year/Make/Model: 1999 Mitsu Galant Super Saloon
Engine: 2.0 16v 4G63
Okay, I understand the position that Univision is in. I understand, dude. How can the tranmission be "used to" the fluid and it isn't even alive? Well, by that the guys mean that the fluid has thinned because of heat and pressure over time, but it is also fairly full of tiny metal filings that have worn off the various inner parts over time as well. These metal filings are what are keeping things together. If you remove them (as you would in a fluid flush) then the new transmission fluid alone will not suffice. Understand? I am no engineer nor am i an expert, but the reasoning seems at worst fair. What options do you have? Well, if you love your car as much as you seem to, go right ahead and schedule a rebuild. I favour this option more than buying another tranny becasue you don't know what you're getting into. Don't despair. You had some fun over the years, but now it's time to pay the bill, if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:50 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

^^ VERY well put.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:04 am 
GF Driven
GF Driven

Has anyone seen how a transmission works? Its like a maze. Fluid runs through ports and openings which causes clutches and cervos and all kinds of stuff to move. It is like when brake pads are at 50%, your calipers don't open as if they had pads that had 100% meat left. They stay at a certain level. Same way with the internals in a transmission. A thicker viscosity is going to ruin the transmission. A flush is going to ruin the transmission. Ultimately the decision is up to you as well as the consequences that come with it. But you asked the forums for guidance and we are saying to start looking for a new transmission because switching fluid at this point is going to be detrimental to the tranny.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:12 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Well, damn guys... that sucks. Denial is still keeping at hold but its finally wearing off... Tell ya what. I'll change the fluid, as driving the Galant is already bad enough as it is. However, I'll take pictures and whatnot (notes maybe too) to add onto this topic once I'm done. By doing so it will literally show others like myself that can't believe what's being told to them. I hope I wont have to start junkyard scavenging for a manual transmission soon. /crosses-fingers

Thanks guys, its kinda hard to believe what you don't want to in the first place.
Thank you,
-Bart K.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:11 am 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Thanks guys, its kinda hard to believe what you don't want to in the first place.[/quote]
I believe we don't want to because it's been proven through another member of either GF or TGC..

But if you want to be another idol of proof go ahead and do it lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:09 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

lol....i want to know how much longer this transmission lasts and at which point the shifts get worse. Mine has 170k and an eratic shift and the fluid is still what the factory put into it. My new 5 speed is at the transmission shop getting new internals and a go through so its like new when i get it to the car.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:22 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

bloody arro wrote:
Thanks guys, its kinda hard to believe what you don't want to in the first place.

I believe we don't want to because it's been proven through another member of either GF or TGC..

But if you want to be another idol of proof go ahead and do it lol.[/quote]
What I meant was that my brain was using a psychological defense mechanism called denial.

I just took out the old fluid and man, its fugly black. I've got a few pics and once the transmission dies (if it does) I'll describe its behavior up to that point.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:26 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

I give you propz for sacrificing your G(if it dies) for knowledge. You never know, it might turn out well. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:33 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

ADExternal wrote:
I give you propz for sacrificing your G(if it dies) for knowledge. You never know, it might turn out well. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know where and how the (shape) of the transmission filter looks like?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:42 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

I would try looking it up in the 8G manual to be sure under engine

8G Manual

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:47 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Yeah I checked the manual and it has nothing about changing the transmission fluid :( Not even where the filter is located or if there is one at that matter (there definitely is, somewhere). I got a filter from auto zone and its cylindrical just like a regular oil filter with different dimensions. But for the life of me (and the car) I can't find it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:49 pm 
CEO
CEO

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
The transsmission filter is located INSIDE the tranny and inaccisable unless you take apart the tranny...

Prophet's Help Desk

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:10 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Prophet wrote:
The transsmission filter is located INSIDE the tranny and inaccisable unless you take apart the tranny...

Ooooh...
Well in that case, I'm going to return the filter I bought to AutoZone and get my money back for that. I don't have the expertise to take apart the transmission. Thanks for that little bit of info :P. I should have the pictures and the "experiment" finished soon, its raining here in Chicago but I don't have the time to wait. So I'm going to have to do it in the rain :/

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:23 am 
GF Driven
GF Driven

On a V6 with that many miles, you are lucky that the trans is still alive. I give you props for what you are trying to do, (save the car) and I understand that it's hard to swallow the bill for a rebuild, but what the others have already suggested is really the best you could do to the car. For one, chances are that the factory filter that is inside of the trans is a shitty one by design. Just search, I have a whole thread about my trans failure / swap ordeal. What I'm saying is, I wish you luck with changing the oil, but after 2OOK, be ready to do a rebuild anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:57 am 
GF Made
GF Made

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6
Engine: 6G72 Turbo
Just to be clear, some of the older 8G Galants do have a spin on filter, that I believe was on the top of the transmission case.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:00 am 
CEO
CEO

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
DryBear wrote:
Just to be clear, some of the older 8G Galants do have a spin on filter, that I believe was on the top of the transmission case.

I think that was only on the 99 too right?

Prophet's Help Desk

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information